Global lead for youth employment and career pathways
We are excited to announce one of our new Expert Panel of Advisors, Hamish Stephenson who will be taking a global lead in our recruitment and employment pathways programs, including the Rising Stars Career Mentor project. With experience in recruitment and as a youth mentor he is perfectly suited to provide advice and support for at-risk young people to gain opportunities in employment and lead our global mentor recruitment program. Hamish has strong experience in building out high growth start-ups with a career over the past decade that has evolved from marketing into recruitment, where he has thrived from Consultant to a cross-continental global role.
Taking a global lead for the launch of the Rising Career Mentor Program in Australia, US and New Zealand, Hamish has a commitment to providing positive employment pathways for young men and women being impacted due to the Covid 19 economic environment. The Rising Stars Career Mentoring program will connect young people aged 18-25 from challenging backgrounds with successful mentors from business and sports communities. For young people with challenging situations, limited experience and workplace skills can make accessing a job even more challenging in the times ahead. Without robust support a likely outcome is disengagement rather than participation in jobs and training.
Our volunteer mentors will be experienced professionals who together with our team will provide opportunities for young people to access practical advice and guidance in order to support career ambitions. The program is a mentoring partnership focused on developing a young person’s career abilities and aims to empower young people with the knowledge and skills to become future leaders and role models.
RISING STARS Mentors will provide a young person with the opportunity to:
▪ Learn from and be guided by an experienced business professional
▪ Reflect on career goals and future ambitions
▪ Develop job-seeking skills and support to find a job
▪ Build their professional network and make new contacts
▪ Gain confidence and develop new skills that will assist them throughout their life
▪ Understand career pathways available once in a job
How long does the program go for?
The program is over a minimum six-month period but typically lasts for 12 months and beyond.
What are the commitments of a mentor?
Mentors are expected to commit to the program for a minimum of 6 months and may participate beyond this period if mutually agreed with the mentees. It’s up to you to decide at the level you want to connect, but most mentors will communicate on a monthly basis. Each relationship is different and comes with its benefits and opportunities.
There are 3 levels of mentoring available through the program:
Level 1: Motivational Mentor- These mentors encourage young people towards a career, providing positive input and feedback to succeed in life, practical advice and belief in what they can achieve (minimum contact once per month)
Level 2: Make it Work Mentor- These mentors provide practical job searching tips and tools, assisting with resumes, interview skills, job readiness, and post-employment career support. (minimum contact once per fortnight over first 3 months).
Level 3: Maximum Opportunity Mentor- These mentors go above and beyond to actually find job opportunities for young people and assist in making sure they end up with a job (minimum contact once per week over first 3 months).
▪ Contact may involve a range of methods including video calls, email, phone contact or face to face meetings.
▪ Complete relevant reference checks and required screening processes.
The aim of the mentor support is to promote the growth and career path of a young person and be part of them developing and achieving their goals, including support to start in a job, grow their professional network, and discover new career opportunities.
What do we provide for mentors?
Charity Bounce provides the following support for all mentors:
- Mentor training programs for all mentors
- Mentor support on a monthly basis with Charity Bounce staff
- Mentor functions and events where you will get to connect and network with Charity Bounce staff, other mentors, and mentees (online and location-based where available).
- Access to RISING STARS leadership events with business and community leaders providing business network opportunities and training.